Tuesday 20 May 2014

Study Tips

Hi guys! 

So at my school the year 11 and 12 first semester exams are starting this week... Scary... Now being in year 12 I have lots of exams to study for 7 -to be exact- and all are within 3 weeks so I decided to start studying last week. I was looking up helpful ways to study just to add to what I already do, so I've come up with a few tips that help me and hopeful you too! 

1. Write a list! 
For me writing lists helps a lot with getting myself organised and ready to conquer all the topics I have to cover. So I have 5 subjects which all have heaps of topics in them which I've covered over the semester. Now, by writing a checklist of everything you need to study you are making a physical reminder of how much or how little you have to remember, and it will help with getting you ready to start. 
For example, I study chemistry. I went through my notebook and booklets that my teacher gave me, and made this list with all the topics I need to remember or perhaps relearn before the exam. 
So now whenever I have finished studying one of those topics, I can just tick it off and not have to stress... As a bonus, ticking things off on a To Do List is always fun and makes you feel like you've accomplished something! :) 


2. Study in an environment where you know you can concentrate! 
Some people can study really well with music, whilst others can't. I can't. I need things to be super quiet so all my attention is on what I'm suppose to be doing. If you know that you can only study with music then listen to music, and if you can't then don't. I personally think that studying without music is more effective. My maths teacher is a firm advocate of studying and doing work in a quiet environment, because studies have shown that when you listen to music while you study your brain doesn't make the right connections and you only remember things for a short amount of time, and if it's quiet then information can reach your long term memory and stay there. 

3. Flash cards!
Even though it's the 21st century, flash cards are still one of the best ways to remember information! You write down the question or word, write down the answer or definition, and bam you're ready to start studying! You've probably all heard of flash cards.. Who hasn't!? But did you know that you can get apps for your portable devices which I think most of us have at least one! I have 2 (not sure why I have 2 but anyway..) called FlashCards++ and Flashcardlet. Both are great, yet one is free and one isn't. You can write your own flash cards or download ones that other people have created and made available on Quizlet which is really helpful if you are too lazy to make your own sometimes! Hehe 


4. Have food!!!!! 
The exclamation marks were totally needed there! You get to eat while study! Whateven!? 
Having food with you when you study will prevent you from wondering around the house, continuously opening and closing the fridge expecting something new to be there every time, and endless procrastination (because let's face it, food is amazing). Having healthy food with you is even better for your studying. It will give you energy that you need to be able to remember information or stay up. A good choice is some fruit like a banana or apple, or saltanas (mmmmm my favourite). 

5. Have a clean study area! 
My mum tells me this nonstop and I think it might just be starting to kick in after 17 years... I always find that I study better and have less distractions if my desk is clean and tidy, that way I can't play with anything that shouldn't be on there, and trust me it happens. You won't even notice that you're doing it until 10 minutes or so has passed and your still playing with that bouncy ball on your desk. I don't know, who even has a bouncy ball on their desk... Not me :P 


Now that's all for now! Hope these help and good luck! :) 

- Tianah xo

No comments:

Post a Comment